Baptism, Confirmation, and Holy Eucharist are the Sacraments of Initiation and foundational for every Christian life. Reconciliation is a Sacrament of Healing. Christ’s mercy and absolution, received through a Catholic priest, restores our relationship with the Father. Our Lady of Consolation Parish offers comprehensive sacrament preparations for children and youth. Preparation includes parents and sponsors to nurture the spiritual life of the entire family.
If your child has not been baptized, or is older than seven years old, please contact the Faith Formation Office at (616) 866-2577. We will assist and celebrate the baptism of your child or children!
Families with Special Needs:
The National Directory for Catechesis reminds us that “persons with disabilities, especially children, are particularly beloved of the Lord and are integral members of the Christian community just as with each of God’s human creations, each person with a disability has catechetical needs that the Christian community must recognize and meet. All baptized persons with disabilities have a right to adequate catechesis and deserve the means to develop a relationship with God.”
We welcome all children and work with every family to identify the most appropriate opportunity for each child. The Faith Formation team has materials available for Faith Formation and Sacramental preparation for families with special needs. The Faith Formation team will assist families by providing resources for education at home as well as one-on-one time. No one is denied Faith Formation or Sacraments based on their situation. We are happy to work with everyone based on their abilities!
Please contact the OLC Faith Formation Office at (616) 866-2577 for more information or with questions.
Sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Eucharist:
The Sacrament of Reconciliation and Holy Eucharist preparations begin in first grade. This two-year preparation requires children to complete all first grade work before being placed in a second grade class.
Besides weekly classroom preparation, sacrament students and their parents must attend scheduled retreats and meetings. These mandatory events provide additional formation for your child so they are fully prepared to celebrate the Sacraments of First Reconciliation and Holy Eucharist.
Provisions for Both Sacraments:
- Children must Complete the First Grade curriculum.
- Children must Attend Weekly Faith Formation Classes.
- Parental Involvement at home, attendance at meetings and scheduled special events are essential and required.
- Readiness for the Reception of Reconciliation and Holy Eucharist will be determined by the Parents, Elementary Coordinator, and Pastor.
Elementary Faith Formation partners with all OLC Families during the Preparations and Reception of Reconciliation and Holy Eucharist. Here are important sacrament details and events:
- Complete the Sacrament Form. Click the button below to access and complete the online sacrament form.
- Baptismal Certificate. If your child was not baptized at OLC, parents must provide a certified baptismal certificate. Email a copy your child’s certificate to Tonnie Pahl at firstname.lastname@example.org
- November 13th – First Reconciliation Parent/Child Retreat meets 10am-12pm, in the Holy Family Center. Parents will also receive additional reconciliation details.
- December 11th – First Reconciliation Prayer Service. Children will celebrate the Reception of First Reconciliation, from 10am-12pm, in the church.
- January 13th – First Eucharist Parent/Child meeting, from 6:00-8:00 pm, in the Holy Family Center.
- March 19th – First Eucharist Parent/Child Retreat meets from 10am-12:30 pm. We will begin in the Holy Family Center.
- May 15th or 22nd – First Communion Masses. Children will celebrate the Reception of First Eucharist at 2:00 PM. Families will choose one mass date using SignUpGenius. Parents will be notified when signups become available.
Thank you for the privilege to share these important spiritual milestones with your child!
Contact Donna Phillips, Elementary Coordinator, OLC Faith Formation Office, by phone (616) 866-2577 ext. 212 or email Donna here if you have any questions.
Sacrament of Confirmation:
The Sacrament of Confirmation deepens our baptismal life that calls us to be missionary witnesses of Jesus Christ in our families, neighborhoods, society, and the world. Through Confirmation, our personal relationship with Christ is strengthened. We receive the message of faith in a deeper and more intensive manner with great emphasis given to the person of Jesus Christ, who asked the Father to give the Holy Spirit to the Church for building up the community in loving service.
The Holy Spirit bestows seven gifts—wisdom, understanding, knowledge, fortitude, counsel, piety, and fear of the Lord—to assist us in our mission and witness. The impact of these gifts accompanies us in the various stages of our spiritual development.
At Our Lady of Consolation, youth in 8th grade prepare for the Sacrament of Confirmation, which typically takes place in the spring. Confirmation Preparation includes:
- Weekly Meetings
- Opportunities for candidates and sponsors to grow together in faith
- A Confirmation Retreat
- Service projects
Please CLICK HERE for the Confirmation Information Form
If you have any questions or concerns about Confirmation Preparation, please contact Josh Hanson at 866-2577, ext. 210 or email Josh Here